Sunday, April 21, 2013



I am a teacher, and though liberal, I am more than a little disturbed by the sexual activity of young folks. The infection rate of STD's is embarrassing, and no telling what long term effects. I have gotten old enough now to be annoyed by their fashions - in my day it was long hair that upset the fuddy-duddies, now it's tattoos and body piercing. I am a late term Baby Boomer, and find all of this more than a little perplexing.

But there is a very strong upside to the current generation developing, at least from my empirical observations. There is much less evidence of racism and bigotry in the midst of this swirl of artificial, even extreme, culture. For a deep understanding of all this investigate the Burning Man event. At first blush its a Hippie resurgence, but it's much more than that. Consider just one of their principles: Radical Self Reliance! Nothing wrong with that.

Every Generation thinks the next one is going into the sewers, Aristotle infamously condemned his successors. But for the most part we are progressing. Modern technology is propagating so rapidly, it's making our heads spin. In five years time, we will not be able to recognize the current world! Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, in a politically and economically, even culturally, broken moment in time. But the advances in the Multiverse give me great hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment